Enric Carreras MD, PhD
Chair of the Educational Committee of European Blood and Marrow Transplant Group (EBMT)
Dr Carreras studied at the University of Barcelona and completed his resident training at the Hematology Department in the Hospital Clinic of Barcelona. He completed his doctoral thesis entitled ‘Non-infiltrative hepatopathy associated with Hodgkin disease' in 1984. He continued his work within the Hospital Clinic as Head of the BMT Section and manager of the Blood and Marrow Program until 2010. He has also acted as President of the Spanish Group for Bone Marrow Transplantation (GETH) from 2005 to March 2013.
In his current position he is Director of the Spanish Bone Marrow Donor Program (REDMO) and member of the Educational Committee of the European School of Haematology (ESH). In April 2013 he accepted the position of Chair of the Educational Committee for EBMT.
His research interests include SCT complications; veno-occlusive disease; SCT in autoimmune diseases; At-Home SCT; Endothelial dysfunction after SCT.
1. Palomo M, Díaz Ricart M, Carbó C, Rovira M, Fernández Avilés F, Martínez C, Ghita G, Escolar G, Carreras E. Endothelial dysfunction after stem cell transplantation. Role of the conditioning regimen and the type of transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2010; 16: 985-993.
2. Palomo M, Diaz-Ricart M, Rovira M, Escolar G, Carreras E. Defibrotide Prevents the Activation of Macrovascular and Microvascular Endothelia Caused by Soluble Factors Released to Blood by Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011; 17: 497-506.
3. Carreras E, Díaz-Beyá M, Rosiñol L, Martínez C, Fernández-Avilés F, Rovira M. The Incidence of Veno-Occlusive Disease following Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Has Diminished and the Outcome Improved over the Last Decade.
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011; 17: 1713-20.
4. Carreras E, Diaz-Ricart M. The role of the endothelium in the short-term complications of hematopoietic SCT. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2011; 46: 1495-502.
5. Richardson PG, Ho VT, Giralt S, Arai S, Mineishi S, Cutler C, Antin JH, Stavitzski N, Niederwieser D, Holler E, Carreras E, Soiffer R. Safety and efficacy of defibrotide for the treatment of severe hepatic veno-occlusive disease. Ther Adv Hematol. 2012; 3: 253-65.